The XVI International Documentary Film Festival Flahertiana will take place in Perm, Russia, from 16 to 23 September, 2016.
International Competition is a basic part of the festival film program.
Documentaries that develop the cinematography aesthetics first introduced by Robert Flaherty in his masterpiece Nanook of the North enter the competition.
Within «Flahertiana-2016» the following events are held along with the main competition program:
- «Russian Flahertiana», the winner of which is determined based on Nation Competition Jury voting.
- Student Films Competition, the winner of which is determined based on Student Films Competition Jury voting.
- Special programs devoted to cinematography of different countries, to film festivals, directors and social problems;
- Workshops, theoretic discussions, seminars, discussion panels.
How to enter your film?
To enter your film, please:
- fill in the Entry form (find it on our web site);
- send a link to watch online or download the preview of your film to the official festival e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or 2 DVD (PAL) preview copies to the postal address of the festival direction.
You also may upload your film at our FTP server. Before you submit, please, fill in the entry form and notify us you are planning to upload, we will send you back a link, instructions, user name and password for entry.
Film preview copies should have English subtitles or voice-over. The festival does not charge any fees for entry. All postal/shipping expenses are to be paid by the entrants, as well as all other expenses incurred, such as insurance, etc.
In order to protect the copies during transportation, please, provide proper packaging.
The entry form and the link (or 2 DVD copies) must be sent to the Festival office no later than May 10th, 2016 (date of the mailing is determined by the postmark).
General Festival Screening Requirements
Films should be released after January 1st, 2015.
Films to be selected for competition may be of any length except super-short (less than 7 minutes);
Film copy provided should be with English subtitles in international format *.SRT
The Festival accepts the screening copies on BD-R, DCP. Digital media can be in the following formats: mp4, m2ts, mkv with SD or HD quality.
If a film does not meet all listed requirements, it may not be included into competition program.
Film preview copies submitted to the Selection Commission are not returned to the entrants.
Selection Commission headed by the Chairman selects documentaries that participate in all program sections. Deadline for applications is May 10th, 2016. In case a film has been selected, the Festival notifies the applicant, director, producer and distributor of the fact after July 1st, 2015.
Once the film has been selected, the following materials should be sent to the IDFF before July 15th, 2016:
- three stills (full-colour) (not less than 300 dpi);
- a photo of director (full-colour) (not less than 300 dpi);
- film publicity material;
- film trailer;
- English subtitles in international format *.SRT;
- Dialogue list in Russian or English with the timecode.
If a documentary has been selected the Festival has the right to:
- use three minutes from the documentary for broadcasting or other purposes associated with the film and Festival promotion;
- use film trailer for promotion of the film or the festival
- use the publicity material to promote the film and the Festival;
- keep DVD copies of selected documentaries in its archive for non-commercial screening or educational purposes.
Festival does not pay screening fee for films in competition.
The Festival prefers to receive the screening copies by having them uploaded on its FTP server or downloading the film in HQ from the internet resource chosen by the participant.
The Festival should receive tangible media (DCP or BD-R) with the screening copies by August 10th, 2016. In case the Festival direction wants to use a film for press-preview the IDFF managers will get in touch with the right owners.
Film copies will be returned to filmmakers within four weeks after the Festival.
The cost of screening copy transport to the Festival office is the responsibility of the applicant. The IDFF takes care of all charges associated with the copy return.
Insurance for shipping of films to the Festival is the entire responsibility of the participants.
The Festival covers transport costs and costs of three-day stay in Perm of directors whose documentaries have been selected for the international competition. The above includes travel of a director to Perm and back, hotel accommodation, two meals/day, invitation for visa.
Directors of films included into competition should inform the Festival direction on dates of his/her stay in Perm by August 10th, 2016.
Anyone who wants to attend the Festival must fill out the accreditation form on the festival website and send it along with his/her photo to email@example.com. The IDFF will contact you to co-ordinate on accommodation conditions, hotel charges, dates of stay and Festival schedule.
International Jury Awards:
- Grand Prix for «The Best Documentary» — «Big Golden Nanook» and 250,000 rub.* (to film director)
- Award for «Discovery of New Subjects and New Heroes» — «Silver Nanook» and 75,000 rub.* (to film director)
- Award for «Original Artistic Solution» — «Silver Nanook» and 75,000 rub.* (to film director)
National Competition Jury Award for the best film of «Russian Flahertiana» program — «Small Golden Nanook» and 25,000 rub. (to film director).
Award for the best student film.
Audience Award is awarded to film director, who is selected by public voting throughout the festival. (Only international competition program movies can be selected).
*- Prize money is paid in rubles, dollars or euros (as winners decide).
Participation in the Festival envisages that all clauses of the above Regulations are to be fully met. In case of disputes, Russian version of the Regulations will prevail.
You can send the film copies to the IDFF Selection Commission:
to Alina Shirinkina «FLAHERTIANA»
P.O. Box 1599, 614039, Perm, Russia
Tel/fax: (342) 241-38-02
For more details please contact us at:
«Permkino», IDFF «Flaheriana»
17 Pionerskaya Street, Perm, 614039, Russia
Tel/fax: (342) 241-38-02 (for Russian speaking applicants)
Mob.: + 79120681629 (for English speaking applicants)
Festival team is ready to answer all your questions!